Sunday, October 26, 2008

Gratitude

Definition of gratitude: noun - a feeling of being grateful for gifts or favours

Have you ever noticed that sometimes in the thick of things it's difficult to see the details of a situation as they unfold? I think this is something everyone has experienced at one time or another, for better or worse. It happens to me all the time. I get so swept up in the day-to-day workings of life, that I don't fully appreciate things for what they are or for what they represent. I experienced this scenario in a big way this past Thursday.


I was mindful and appreciative of the little things that happened throughout my day, but when I really stepped back that evening (while laying in bed, waiting for sleep to take over) I really saw -- in my mind's eye -- what had happened.


I received several telephone calls and emails Thursday from people who just called to check in. They were mostly from people who hadn't heard from me in a couple of weeks and were reaching out to find out what was going on with Greg and I and with the adoption. As I stated in my initial post, last week wasn't necessarily a good week for me. I learned that we are at a temporary standstill in our adoption. And not only that, we were hit with a $4,000 (+/-) increase in our adoption fee. I was feeling a little self-pity last week and these telephone calls and emails gave me an opportunity to vent. (Sorry to those of you who reached out to me. :-* ) I was moved with each of these individual "contacts", but it wasn't until late that evening that I truly realized what transpired throughout the day. The people who called and emailed did so because they truly CARE ABOUT US. What a lovely thing! And what a lovely, moving gesture. And not only did these people reach out to us, but they offered their support in various ways. And I didn't get it at the moment of contact, but boy did it hit me over the head when I looked at the entire picture. These beautiful people offered themselves to us. I mean, really offered themselves -- in very meaningful and substantial ways. These offers ranged from "just thinking about you" to "we'll be praying for you" to "we'll stage a letter writing campaign for you" to "we'll help you with the money if you need it" to "you're going to spend Christmas with us this year because we know it's going to be difficult for you and you need to be with people who love you". Talk about blessed!!!! And I mean blessed, over and over and over again. And let me tell you -- I was really down last week. I was feeling tested in my faith. And I was praying for God to strengthen and increase my faith. And he sent people (angels on earth, if you will) to bolster my faith. What an awesome God! He is faithful! And he is great -- ALL THE TIME! (Phillipians 4:6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.)

So thank you my beautiful "family of friends", for that is what you all are. You are our family. And we do NOT take you for granted. In fact, we are full of gratitude that you have been placed (albeit strategically) in our lives.


In closing, the following verse came to mind as I reflected on Thursday's experience. It is a scripture from one of my devotionals a couple of weeks ago. And low and behold, our pastor (Rick Whitter) referenced this scripture in this morning's service. It beautifully states the importance of relationships in our lives. And I am grateful for each and every one of you.


Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

No comments: