Thursday, February 4, 2010

Let Your Light Shine

January 2010 was one of the longest months of my life. The New Year started off with many challenges for the DuBose family. They are not unique or new challenges mind you, but rather the exact same challenges most (if not all) of you are facing in one way or another at present. Life is not without trouble. Simply put, we live in a fallen world and as inhabitants of this fallen world we all experience the exact same things at varying degrees at different times. What I don’t like, however, is how I’ve let these challenges take over my life and steal my joy as of late. And what bugs me even more is that I facilitate the joy-stealing.

I ardently try to be optimistic at all times. After all, I have great frames of reference to reflect upon. In tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day I recently heard excerpts of one of Dr. King’s most famous speeches. In this speech he states, “Because I’ve been to the mountaintop.” I can relate. I too have been to the mountaintop, but I’ve also been to lowest of valleys. I’ve been to the bottom of the pit where I never thought I would (or wanted to) see the light of day again. Through the grace of God though, when I’m struggling with something, I climb back up to the top of the mountain because the view is so much better there. Admittedly, however, I’ve had a hard time doing that over the past couple of weeks, but not for lack of effort.

I’ve prayed hard for God’s divine intervention in the situations we’re facing. I’ve read scripture.

Luke 12:6-7
6Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

John 14:1
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

I’ve participated in a fast as a recommitment to the LORD. I just finished reading Max Lucado’s Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear. Yet despite all the effort I’ve exerted I’m still mired down in the “what ifs”.

This morning I decided to try a different tack. Today I asked God to let me be a light to people. I implored Jesus to live in my heart and to let his love and light shine through me onto everyone I came in contact with—especially the two people that live within these four walls with me. I prayed that God would let me be present in all things—in reading Jackson stories, at mealtime, at bath time, in the grocery store, during walks in the neighborhood. Experience tells me that being present can make or break someone’s day. We have no idea what the person standing next to us is going through. Holding a door, or offering a kind word or smile may be the only kind gesture or human contact that person experiences today. I admit, I have been so preoccupied with the pesky “what ifs” lately that I’ve been very poor company for everyone.

Shortly after I prayed these prayers I saw a photo on Facebook of someone I vaguely know. Actually we would have been related in a roundabout way if not for a divorce that happened along the way. To make a long story short, I sent this person a message on Facebook, telling her how heartwarming it was to see her obvious commitment to family and wishing her well. She wrote back with a very similar and lovely statement about me. So in this very brief period of time my prayer was answered. Jesus projected his light onto someone through me and in turn he reflected that light right back on me, boosting my spirits and putting a smile on my face. That one reflection of light has allowed me to spend the rest of the day basking in the “what I haves” as opposed to the “what ifs”. Thank you, Jesus! Thank you for your grace and mercy. It is indeed enough.

Matthew 5:14-16
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

No comments: