Sunday, February 28, 2010

Never Alone

We’ve had rough week in the DuBose household. My husband became sick last weekend with a bad cold and cough that eventually developed into a severe case of sinusitis. Jackson began to exhibit symptoms Monday and I became sick Thursday. A cold is apparently the gift that just keeps on giving.

Poor Jackson began sneezing and coughing with a slight fever Monday. By Wednesday he had a temperature of 102.3 with what I thought was a full-blown cold. Luckily he was supposed to see his pediatrician that day for his fifteen month well-baby check-up. Not only did the poor little guy have a cold, but he also has a really severe bilateral ear infection, throat infection and bronchitis. We’ve made two subsequent trips to the pediatrician for antibiotic injections (each visit) because he actually got worse as the week went on. The worst part about it was how much he cried. Jackson never cries. He is the toughest most resilient child I’ve ever met. He is a trouper. These multiple illnesses, however, really kicked our little man’s butt. He cried every day this week for nearly the entire day and some of the night. Oh, and I forgot to mention he is cutting eight teeth, four of which are molars.

You’re probably wondering why I’ve given so much detail about Jackson’s illnesses. Jackson’s illnesses aren’t really the topic here but I needed to express how sick he is and how much pain he has endured. As a parent it is so hard to see your child hurting and in pain. You feel absolutely helpless. I looked on in pure anguish, grasping for anything that would take his mind off things and make him feel better. This week really broke my heart.

While watching Jackson endure this it dawned on me that this is how our Heavenly Father feels when we endure hardship, suffering and pain. I only have two children to worry about and fret over. God has 6.8 billion people to worry about. Wrap your head around that number. Can you even imagine for a minute the overwhelming sadness and grief God feels in watching us endure our trials and tribulations? Our God is a merciful and loving God who wants only the best for us in life. He never wants to see us suffer. This epiphany reinforced to me that I am never alone in my suffering. I am never alone in my pain. I am never alone in my sadness. God is right here with me and to quote the final stanza of Mary Stevenson’s immortal Footprints in the Sand poem, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand, is when I carried you."

Thank you, Father God, for your pure and perfect love. Thank you for your grace and mercy fresh and anew each day. Thank you for your faithfulness and for never giving up on me. I love you.

No comments: